This assignment is similar to the first blog assignment. To prepare for it, compile a variety of popular news and social media clips on the blog. I like to mix it up and include clips and segments from a wide variety of sources: The Daily Show, Trew News, TedTalks, Fox News, Vice News, etc. Below are a few samples of videos I used this semester.
Here’s a link to a Daily Show Comedy Skit:
Homework #2 (worth one check unless using a different grading system)
- post a variety of popular news and social media clips to the blog (if collaborating with other instructors then divide up this task)
Instructions for Students
- Please log onto the class blog, go to “Analyze” and then “News and Social Media, and pick one news clip to analyze
- Describe the rhetorical context: author, audience and purpose
- Describe at least one example of ethos, logos and pathos (but remember to use language appropriate for the community on the blog)
- Explain whether or not the clip you watched is effective
- Synthesize your ideas with the responses from people who posted before you!
Here is the link to my students’ comments this semester: